Wednesday, February 4, 2009

DAY 4 - CYCLE 4 - SEMESTER 2

Today, you translated Macbeth, Act I, scene iv into modern English. To help you, I handed out two sheets of some basic vocabulary and translated words. These materials came to me via hardcopy from Chicago Shakespeare, so I do not have them in electronic form (anyone feel like earning some in school service hours by typing them up?). Those who were absent today will find them in their mailboxes.

In rough, rough terms:

Duncan: Is Cawdor dead yet? Have the executioners returned?

Malcolm: Sir, they're not back yet, but I heard that it looks like Cawdor admitted his crime, begged forgiveness, and died with dignity.

Duncan: Well, you can't tell what a man's mind is from the way he looks. I trusted that guy completely...Macbeth, Banquo, Ross and Angus enter... Oh! Macbeth! I cannot thank you enough for all you've done for me.

Macbeth: My pleasure. Just doing my job.

Duncan: Well, I'll make sure you're rewarded for your help to me. Banquo, I feel the same way about you, too.

Banquo: Well, any help you give me will be sure to benefit you.

Duncan: Wow, well, I am just crying tears of joy here. All of you know that Malcolm here is the Crown Prince, but those who deserve it will gain in nobility (suggesting that Macbeth is in store for even more titles). From here, let's go to Macbeth's castle so we can build our relationship further!

Macbeth: Well, then, the only thing left to do then is to prepare for your arrival. I'll go tell my wife you're coming. She'll be so happy! Excuse me, then.

Duncan: Thank you, Thane of Cawdor!

Macbeth: aside - So Malcolm's Crown Prince. Great. I've either got to give up my ambitions because of that or figure out a way around it. Heaven above, don't watch what I'm about to do, and may I have the werewithal to do it. Macbeth leaves.

Duncan: Oh Banquo! He's such a great guy; I love hearing about him! Let's follow him to his house. What a guy! There's no one quite like him.

We then talked about dramatic irony, in which the audience knows something that the character in the play or movie or story does not know. Horror movies use this all the time. We know the crazed axe murderer is hiding behind the bunk bed, but the dippy teen counselors sneaking into the cabin do not. It's a way of adding tension.

There's plenty of dramatic irony throughout this little scene. As soon as Duncan says you can't judge a book by its cover, who should happen to show up? Macbeth! And what has he been thinking about? Murder! Woo-wee: awkward! I then asked you to block out the scenes in such a way that your gestures, facial expressions and postures would heighten this dramatic irony.

Your homework:
It helps to know the literary terms that can explain some of the dynamics in the play, so I've asked you to look up a number of literary terms I passed out on a worksheet. One of the terms is "Apostrophe." I DO NOT MEAN THE PUNCTUATION MARK! Please look up the terms and provide brief definitions on the sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment