Thursday, December 4, 2008

CYCLE 11- DAY 4 - SEMESTER 1

Today, I passed out exam review materials.  I strongly suggest that you re-read DAY 2 of this blog since the information and tips it contains are extremely useful in guiding your approach to exams.  I also pointed out that rather than listing just the information you are expected to know, I listed the skills you must demonstrate.  THAT should do much more to suggest your approach to studying than anything else.  I am available for extra help before and after school, and will be holding review sessions in the coming days.  Be proactive.  If it seems difficult or labor intensive or simply unappealing now, waiting until next weekend, or worse, the 17th or 18th to get started in your studying is NOT going to make that any easier.

After we spoke about the exam, we discussed the Joseph Campbell's "Hero's Journey" structure.  I asked you, in small and large groups, to first compare answers, and then to address the following questions:
  1. How many hero's journeys does Hazel go on?
  2. Does anyone else in the novel go on a hero's journey?
  3. What are the gifts (tangible & symbolic) with which Hazel returns?
  4. What lessons do the archetypes teach Hazel?
When I get my act together, I will get those notes posted on the wikispace.  They'll be up by Friday.  I promise.

HOMEWORK
You are to use the exam review materials to cover FOUR of the stories we have read (I don't care which ones).  On Monday, you should have written or typed materials covering four of the stories.  Even if they are not yet complete, they should be substantive.  You know what this means.  Showing up with a character list of the main characters will not qualify.  Do a gut check--at this point, you know me pretty well, and you can guess what "substantive" means.  If you need more detail, come in and ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment